Are there important retail growth opportunities in Charleston, SC? The answer is a resounding “yes!” Simply focus on the remarkable development in Charleston’s West Side called WestEdge. Already an impressive city, Charleston is adding wonderful features of the long-anticipated WestEdge development and this retail update outlines its glowing progress.
What is The WestEdge Development?
WestEdge has been termed a “once-in-a-lifetime” project for Charleston. It is a mixed-use project that will encompass 2.7 million square feet of space including offices, residential, education, hospitality and event space. The ambitious plan also involves added parking, new roads, infrastructure, and park space. The area is planned to fill 25 acres of a former landfill located between the Medical University of South Carolina and The Citadel; all east of the Ashley River.
Progress on The WestEdge Phased Plan
The WestEdge plan called for development to occur in phases with most of phase one occurring to this point, phase two occurring by 2023 and a third phase remaining for further development. In this retail update phase one has made remarkable progress:
- The Caroline Building, featuring 237 luxury apartments with views of the Ashley River and Arthur Ravenel Bridge, opened in May 2018 and is now at 95% capacity. The building also includes street-level dining, fitness, entertainment, full-service salons and shopping access along the new WestEdge streetscape.
- Publix Super Market, a 50,000 square foot grocery store, opened in April 2019. It joins these establishments: BkeDShop, Barre South, Jimmy Johns, Hokkaido Sushi & Grill, IX Artistry, 9Round Fitness, and Domino’s Pizza.
- 22 WestEdge, a stunning 125-foot high eight-story office building broke ground in 2018 and is planned for opening in early 2020. This facility will offer 150,000 square feet of office space as well as street level-space for cafes, restaurants, and shopping.
In this retail update, phase two plans, aimed for completion by 2023 include:
- Three more hotels
- Added office space
- Condominium, parking, and retail
- Additional apartments and parking
Seek Expert Real Estate Services to Find Your Perfect Location
Every business needs a great facility. Caldwell Commercial Real Estate Services is your trusted partner for Commercial Real Estate in Charleston, SC. Our commercial realtors and property managers have a combined 80 years of experience, so you can rest easy knowing that your needs will be met with superior results and satisfaction.